Friday, December 3, 2010

The aunt who had come to visit from Manhattan.
She's a stroke victim, completely paralysed from the right side of her body.
She lives alone.
Her italian husband Victor, is a Parkinson's patient and lives in a home. She obviouly can't look after him being a invalid herself, but she visits him almost thrice a week.

She visited because she wanted to make one last trip to India to meet all her relatives.
One last trip before she leaves for Switzerland in June, where euthanasia is legal.

She's decided to stop living.

She told me that she and her husband had discussed this and were supporters of a pro-choice stance.
Ofcourse this option is closed to Victor uncle now, since he is not of sound mind anymore.

What do I feel? What do I think?
I don't know.
Does it mean that she is not happy?
I wish I could have made her happy.

Does it mean that she is in a lot of pain?
Is she afraid that she won't be able to look after herself for much longer and thus wants to die before she becomes completely helpless and this option shuts down for her too.

Yes, this makes most sense.

It still feels strange.. to have a date.

xxx

I wonder how the center is there.

xxx

When I spoke to Vineet's mother about his homework she said "Oh let it be, anyway we are sending him off to the village next year."

"School?" I ask.

"Over there only."

Vineet is not going to be literate I think.

He already is literate actually, since our government define literacy as being able to write ones name in any language.. and still we have such a large illiterate population.

And Vineet has no clue.
He told me that he wants to become an actor.

No comments:

Post a Comment