Thursday, December 23, 2010

One of my students, Ali, gave me a ring today.
Its a child's ring, tiny, and the stone has fallen off it.
It only fits my littlest finger.

Its one of the sweetest things anyone has ever given me.

Kids keep on bringing flowers that they've plucked on the way to school and sweets.
Ali must have wanted to give something too.
Giving gives them happiness and a sense of pride.
They are not able to give often.

You must envy me now.
Teaching is a profession that can make you feel very good about yourself.

xxx

Today was the last day of school before the Christmas break.
The kids got to eat wafers and Rasna with their khichdi.. and we gave them cake and 2 buiscuit packets to take home.

There were some teachers who had come from the Podar School. They performed this skit and there was a Santa who gave all the kids towels. I guess the NGO committee decided that this would be the most useful thing for them.
The BMC teacher told them, "Now that you have a towel make sure you actually use it and have a bath everyday."
Many of my students do not look as if they do.
I don't blame them.. the toilets must be pretty bad.
But then who keeps them dirty?


The kids were very happy with all the gifts.. and they went a little mad with all the sugar. Although my class was better behaved than Division A.

When presents are distributed, my children behave.. because I always threaten to take the gifts away if they don't.

Yesterday I took the sweets from the naughty kids and gave them to the quiet ones just to make a point.

I still think that they don't take me seriously enough.

xxx

They were all dressed up today.

xxx

Buramhi, with the mental problem, decided to paint her nails red and put a tikka on her forehead with the red paint provided to paint stockings.
Her mother got angry.
"Why don't you hit her when she does things like this?"

How can we hit her?
I whack her lightly at times.. but firstly.. you can't really hit someone.. and secondly it does not work with her. She has a problem. She turns into a crying, angry, biting, hitting ball of fury when you do that. The best way to handle her is to ignore her provocations, be firm and understanding with her. She wants love.

Yesterday she bit a teacher. The BMC authorities have asked her parents to take her to KEM hospital for a consultation. The BMC provides free facilities and help for children with learning disabilities.. atleast on paper and at our school.
But the parents don't want to go. They refuse to accept that she is not normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment